Our team of professionals includes former news executives, reporters and newsroom decision-makers who know how the media works from the inside. We travel nationwide to train executives at Fortune 100 automotive and telecommunications companies, multinational food and retail companies, financial institutions, medical centers, large nonprofits, and municipal leaders and top educators.
Our training sessions emphasize real-world scenarios, placing participants from your health departments in likely interview situations that correspond with their individual training needs. All interviews are done with a TV camera to reflect the actual experience of the most challenging media interactions. These live training sessions are customized and interactive. Our training program will include:
- Meeting with you to determine your communication priorities for each individual participating in the training, and to develop a structure for the session.
- A media overview with brief summaries of print, radio, TV, Internet and social media. Each medium has distinct characteristics. It is important that these variables are discussed and understood by your leadership team and spokespersons.
- Exercises in message development. Preparation is the key to all successful media interaction. We will assist each person in identifying and developing the key messages that are critical to each interview.
- The approach to each interview can vary, depending on the medium. Part of our training includes presentation coaching with advice specific to each interview situation, whether it is print, TV or radio.
- Hypothetical scenarios are developed for each participant, consistent with each person’s responsibilities at the health department, as well as their specific training needs. As each scenario is presented to an individual, the group works as a team to prepare the key messages that person will utilize during the interview. These scenarios can be tailored for print, radio, or television interviews although all will be recorded with a video camera. The group is given just a few minutes to prepare the person for the interview.
- Simulated interviews, developed in conjunction with you, and designed to mirror real-life circumstances. These allow training participants to experience much of what occurs during a media interview. Al Upchurch acts as the reporter and our videographer records all the interviews.
- Each interview is played back for review and critique in the group setting. We have found that this collaborative atmosphere enhances the learning experience for all media training participants.
Our training can vary from one-on-one executive coaching, small group coaching, and sessions with ten or more participants. All customized media training session will prepare you for:
- Television interviews
- Radio interviews
- Print interviews
- Ambush interviews
- Live call-ins
- Press conferences
- Crisis communications
- High level presentations